Thursday 21 February 2013

Simple Sunburst Crochet Heart Tutorial

Hello Lovelies, 
we are enjoying a quiet half term week here , I've been busy spring cleaning and reorganizing. 
But I've also taken the opportunity to write out another tutorial for you .

My original  Sunburst Granny Heart , which I posted last spring has turned out to be one of my most popular patterns.
That's quite a complicated design though, with many different stitches .

In this version my aim was to simplify things and also to create a solid version, suitable for stuffing......... 


What do you think ? I'm so happy with this new  version , especially the red and turquoise one....love that colour combination.

Here goes with the tutorial...lots of pictures and tips as usual ......enjoy :0)

I'm again using U.S. terms and you start by making a modified sunburst granny circle. It is the same as the first three rounds of my Easy Crochet Owl .
That tutorial has details of abbreviations and a stitch conversion chart at the beginning. So pop over there now and follow the pattern till you have at least one of these...........


Hello again, here goes with round 4....starting to develop the heart shape.
Choose your colour and attach with a slip stitch into any stitch between clusters ( see explanation of working into a stitch in round 4 of my owl tutorial if you are unsure ) ....chain 1........


In the next stitch make 1 hdc.........


1 dc in each of the next 2 stitches........


In the next stitch make 2 dc..........


followed by 1 dc in the next stitch and 2 dc in the following stitch.........


Then 1 dc in the next stitch and 2 dc in the next stitch, 1 dc in the next stitch and 1 hdc in the following stitch.

That's the first "bump" made, then make 1 sc in each of the next 7 stitches, followed by 1 hdc, 1 dc, 1 dc in consecutive stitches....

in the "point " at the bottom of your heart make 2 dc..........


Now you are working back up the second side of your heart, so it's just the reverse of the first side.
So after the point it's 1 dc, 1 dc, 1 hdc, in consecutive stitches. Followed by 1 sc in each of the following 7 stitches.........


Then it's time to make the second "bump".
Make  the following in each of  the remaining stitches around.........1 hdc, 1 dc, 2 dc, 1 dc, 2 dc, 1 dc, 2 dc, 1 dc, 1 dc, 1 hdc..........


In the same stitch as you began with make 1 sc and fasten off as shown ( note ...do not join to beginning stitch )


Round 5
Attach a new colour into the first stitch of round 4. Chain 1 .

make 1 hdc in the next stitch.......


then 1 dc in the next stitch and 2 dc in the following stitch..........


carry on with that sequence ( 1 dc, 2 dc ) 3 times more. So you end up with 4 repeats.....


then make 1 dc in the next stitch and 1 hdc in each of the next two stitches.........


Then make 1 sc in each of the next 9 stitches followed by 1 hdc in each of the next two stitches...........


in the point make 1 dc, chain 1 , 1 dc..........


then work back up towards the top as follows..........
1 hdc, 1 hdc, 1 sc in each of the next 9 stitches...........


then make the second bump, beginning with 1 hdc, 1 hdc,


then four repeats of 1 dc, 2 dc..........


I've highlighted them here............


Finnish off with 1 dc, 1 hdc and 1 sc .

Fasten off and if you want to make a padded heart repeat a second time leaving a long end on 1 heart . Weave in ends............


use the long end to whip stitch the two hearts together , right side out............



Stop when a smallish opening remains and stuff lightly........


Close up the hole .............

I still had a long tail of yarn ...........


so I inserted my hook and picked up the yarn and chained about 25 ................




then inserted my hook through the top of the heart again, pulled up a loop and fastened off............



then , simply weave in the tail of yarn............



Here I've put the two types of  Sunburst Heart next to each other. As you can see this new version is smaller but it's still  quite big.........About 4 inches high when made with double knitting  yarn and a 4 mm hook.....


My favourite one has found a home on my welsh dresser.............


Where I think it looks perfect :0)


I hope you have fun with this pattern and ,as always, I would love to hear/see how you got on.
Please let me know if anything is unclear.
Jacquie x

71 comments:

  1. love them!!! will try ot out... thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this tutorial!!! :) Very nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jacquie, I can't wait to make these!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful make and reading through that tutorial it seems very easy to follow. I love turquoise and red together too. Thanks for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tutorial, the photos are really clear and make it easy to see what's going on. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Jacquie! Your tutorials are always so clear to follow, I'm sure this one will be too :)
    I adore the red and turquoise one - it would have been so tempting to stick to reds and pinks, but the pop of the blue really makes it.
    Jones x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are super cute! And what a great little scrap buster. Thanks for the tutorial:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Jacquie! I looooove it!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clear photos,easy tutorial,excellent your job. I´ll make one and send you a photo. Kisses!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the tutorial - they look lovely. Think I might give this a try.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jacquie they are gorgeous! Like you, I love the combination of red and turquoise. Looks fab on your Welsh dresser. Thank you so much for sharing such clear instructions and the pattern. E x

    ReplyDelete
  12. thank you so much Jacquie!!!!!!!
    Now I have a new heart addiction!!!!!!
    xoxo Ale

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous pattern. Thank you so much for the tutorial. Will definitely be giving this a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i just discovered your lovely blog. Love your Heart tutorial. Well done for a newbie like me to make. thanks Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Might have to give those a go. Thanks for a detailed tutorial. My Five year old said woooow! I want one for my bedroom - such taste!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What lovely plump hearts! They will cheer up any interior. Thank you for another one of your great picture tutorials!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your hearts are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing the pattern. I will definitely be making some.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  18. great tutorial... I loved the pattern. tnx. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely heart and a great tutorial, you must have spent ages putting it together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks so much Jacquie, your tutorials are simply the best! I hope to make one of these very soon. Thank you also for your lovely comment on my latest post, I'm so pleased we've "met" this way, enjoy the rest of half therm...I know I will xox Penelope

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks so much for sharing this tutorial. I can't wait to try it:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. So very clever..I will have a go
    Thea x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely made and thanks for sharing!!!!!!

    Greetings from Ellebel

    ReplyDelete
  24. well, your owl was the first thing I ever made (apart from a mess!) so can't wait to try the heart next.
    Thankyou so much for taking the time to show us
    x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely! I think I'll be having a go at one of these soon. So kind of you to share, it looks a great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for sharing this lovely pattern-I really enjoy your tutorials and I love visiting your blog-so many wonderfully inspiring ideas! x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for sharing this gorgeous heart tutorial. Something to keep me busy in the deep gloomy days of this coming winter. I'm thinking bright snazzy colours like you've used, something to make my eyes pop! :)
    Have a fab day,
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thankyou for your lovely tutorial! Will have a go at making some hearts at the weekend to hang around my shelves. Will show them on a post linking back to your lovely blog!! Karen :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for the tutorial! This is such a beautiful little project.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Very cute - thanks for the share.
    Have a great weekend.
    Carmel

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wonderful tutorial as always! Thank you for sharing :-) Great color combo with the red and turquoise.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh cute! can't wait to make some :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a wonderful pattern and idea! The finished item looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh it's so cute!! Many thanks for sharing Jacquie

    Have a nice weekend!

    Lluisa x

    ReplyDelete
  35. Well thats my evening sorted then. Loved doing your owl.
    Gillx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Very cute - thanks for the share.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love these! I made several of the Sunburst Granny Hearts and made garlands out of them. I'm so happy to see this new pattern; thanks so much for sharing and for all the fantastic pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Jacquie, I do like each of your crocheted heart designs. It's great to have them both there to inspire us. Thank you for the very clear instructions.

    (I am currently knitting and knitting and knitting, but you've got me wanting to take a break and pick up my favorite crochet hooks again.)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  39. They are beautiful! Love the colours and thank you for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  40. Absolutely brilliant Jacquie! And thank you so much for taking the time to share your pattern. I would love to make one of these, just as soon as I'm finished making more of your lovely owls - they were quite a hit at the Kids' school!!! Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love this - thanks for another excellent tutorial. I have book market this for future reference! I like the red and turquoise colour combination very much.

    Gillian x

    ReplyDelete
  42. How come I haven't found your blog til now! Your projects and photos are just beautiful and thanks so much for the free tutorials which are so well set out. I don't have facebook so I'm going to subscribe by mail and hope to see you again soon. Lu x

    ReplyDelete
  43. Absolutely love your tutorials and have become slightly obsessed with all the wonderful things you've made making possible!!!

    I've put some of my examples onto our blog and have tagged you there (of course), hope I've done them justice!!

    Here is a link to our blog: http://littlemissesthree.blogspot.co.uk/
    Thanks again!
    Little Misses Three x

    ReplyDelete
  44. I think I can't crochet, but I managed to make one today and now onto number 2!

    ReplyDelete
  45. what a nice hart to make thank you for the pattern
    i am from holland and i crotchet for my hobby nice site

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thank you so much for sharing this fabulous DIY.
    xoxo
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  47. I love these! So much so that I have had a go myself and blogged about it! Thanks for sharing the pattern

    Karen @ quintonwench.com

    ReplyDelete
  48. Thank you for sharing - I can't wait to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  49. This was so much fun to make!! Thank you for sharing it with everyone. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  50. Grácias,por el tutorial,ya tengo el mio hecho!
    Bss

    ReplyDelete
  51. Hi Jacquie, this ist a lovely tutorial and I decided to crochet one for "One Month - One Heart". You can see it on my blog - I also linked to your beautiful blog!
    Mariya

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hi Jaquie, sorry if this posts twice, the computer just had a hissy fit. I came across your blog via pinterest when I realised I'd pinned several of your gorgeous designs. I've recently started a very small crochet business ( https://www.facebook.com/laurelcrafts ) and was rather hoping that you would give me permission to sell items made using your patterns. I would obviously give you full credit for the design as I have with all th patterns I've used so far. Thanks Laura

    ReplyDelete
  53. Hi Laura , yes I'm happy for you to sell items....good luck with your business.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, had just come on to ask the very same question and saw this comment! Thanks a lot Jacquie, really appreciate your generosity :)

      Delete
  54. Hola, recien acabo de descubrir tu pagina!! Es todo hermoso. Quisiera saber las abreviaturas de los diferentes puntos, donde las puedo encontrar! Soy de Argentina y se mencionan diferente aca!!!! Espero respuesta!!! Gracias

    ReplyDelete
  55. muchas gracias, es muy lindo y practico

    ReplyDelete
  56. I loved your owls and made them mine as well. I think I shall be doing the same with your hearts.
    And your generosity in allowing us to sell items made using your patterns is appreciated.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  57. Thank you so much... I just found your blog today and I am in LOVE with all your tutorials... thank you for being so generous. I can't wait to get started on some new projects!!!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Thanks so much for a GREAT tutorial! Puffy heart bunting, here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  59. Hello Jacqui :) Thank you so much for sharing! I plan to make one of these, leaving the top unstitched together, to fill with a mini packet of love hearts instead of stuffing for my husband! I posted a link to this page with credit to you here http://oaksgrow.blogspot.co.uk/ as I think they are so cute! Thanks again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Me encantó tu blog!!!! es muy divertido que tomo nota en "spanglish".
    I LOVE your blog!!!! is very funny the way I note in "spanglish", for example : 2 hdc juntas in next, 9 puntos bajos in consecutive stitches.... my english is not very good but I try.... thanks for hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  61. Hello Jaucqui..Greetings!!! Thanks for sharing this pattern. I used this to make a puffy heart for my brother. I recently started a blog about my crochet work here in http://yarnoments.blogspot.co.uk/ wherein I have mentioned your work too. Please do have a look at it and share your comments too. If possible, please do follow me in facebooy at www.facbook.com/yarnoments. Thanks much.

    ReplyDelete
  62. I made one! Beautiful. Thank you. Xxxxoooo

    ReplyDelete
  63. I fell in love with this pattern as well as the colors you used in the red one when I first started crocheting something other than blankets in 2011. I didn't have anybody to make a heart for at that time, put my first grandchild arrived in 2013 and one of the very first things he grabbed for was my crochet shawl. He especially like to shove it in his mouth and chew on it! Then when he was able to sit up my daughter would Place him on my bed so I could keep an eye on him for her while she ran and did something she needed to do really quick! I was mostly bedridden at that time but it was the beginning of that Journey that I'm still on. So I kept my yarn right by me on the unused side of my queen size bed for easy access when inspiration struck . Sitting on my bed he saw those beautiful skeens of yarn and it would become kind of a game for him to pick just one for him to play with. He would always grab it with two hands and stuff the end in his mouth and just chew away! my daughter would come back and be mortified to see her son chewing on her mother's yarn but I thought it was really fun and so did he! When is Valentine's Day came up I wanted to crochet something for him out of his favorite colors but I needed it to be kind of masculine well being Valentine themed. I wanted to make him one of the hearts that I had seen on your site a few years earlier. It was the first heart I ever made! I was really impressed with how much larger it was and I thought it would be! It made for a good handful for a little one his age and your colors for the red one were perfect! When they brought him by to see Grandma on Valentine's Day I held up the heart that I made and it he reached out both hands for it instantly and his eyes got really big. I told him he could have it it was really his and he took it in both hands and shoved a partial section of it in his mouth! That was an instant sign of approval! And what made it even more wonderful to me as a new grandma was when he take it out of his mouth and look at it and turn it over and then shove it back in his mouth again! That meant he really liked it. Thank you for making it possible for me to create a moment that will always be so special to me. It's a beautiful pattern and I really like the size!

    ReplyDelete
  64. Love them, I'm going to try making some. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Absolutely gorgeous. 😍

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.